Baier added that parts of the old pipe will be removed
and other pieces will stay in place underground. And he added that the
sequence of events will be stabilizing and reopening the damaged portion of
McLawren Terrace, installing the new pipe and then finishing off the entire
Barbara Gaines, who has served as a spokesperson for the 111 property owners in the neighborhood, has twice addressed the Marion County Commission and asked them to refrain from giving Asset Trust Holding LLC any further extensions for repairing the two damaged homes. The group was initially shut down after Gaines spoke two minutes at meeting on April 2. But last week, the commission gave her extra time to speak and Commissioner Carl Zalak III took aim at CDD 4 and started questioning why McLawren Terrace hadn’t been repaired sooner – even though it’s been made clear over the past 15 months that crews couldn’t touch the infrastructure until the two home sites were stabilized.
Zalak’s criticism didn’t sit well with Mary Ann Mowers, who lives across the street from one of the damaged homes. She told Zalak during the public comment period of the meeting that she didn’t appreciate his negative comments toward CDD 4, which in addition to putting money aside for repairs has raised assessment fees by 20 percent to help pay for the repairs. She said that both Baier and CDD 4 Supervisor Don Deakin have been quite responsive to those affected by the tragedy from Day One.
On Monday, Gaines sad the residents who have been dealing with the sinkhole nightmare are happy to see some kind of action finally taking place on McLawren Terrace.
“We know that people have been examining the area to prepare bids,” she said. “I hope that means forward action. It feels like our activism has brought about some positive change.”
Another resident, Dr. Peggy Hoffman-Schmidt, agreed.
“We are delighted to know that finally, after 15 months, something is happening to open our road again,” she said.